Sunday :: Jan 16, 2005

Deja Boo-Boo


by larre

Seymour Hersh is reporting in the New Yorker for Jan. 24 & 31 that the Bush administration essentially has given Defense Secretary Rumsfeld carte blanche to plan a military "Iranian campaign" to take place this year. Hersh's informants tell him the administration "has been conducting secret reconaissance missions inside Iran at least since last summer" and the neocon criminals in the administration expect a "strike against several dozen suspected nuclear, chemical, and missile sites will cause the Iranian regime to collapse."

Haven't we been down this toilet before?

According to the web version of Hersh's article, which lands on the newstands tomorrow --

In interviews with past and present intelligence and military officials, I was told that the agenda had been determined before the Presidential election, and much of it would be Rumsfeld’s responsibility. The war on terrorism would be expanded, and effectively placed under the Pentagon’s control. The President has signed a series of findings and executive orders authorizing secret commando groups and other Special Forces units to conduct covert operations against suspected terrorist targets in as many as ten nations in the Middle East and South Asia.
* * *
The Administration has been conducting secret reconnaissance missions inside Iran at least since last summer. Much of the focus is on the accumulation of intelligence and targeting information on Iranian nuclear, chemical, and missile sites, both declared and suspected. The goal is to identify and isolate three dozen, and perhaps more, such targets that could be destroyed by precision strikes and short-term commando raids. “The civilians in the Pentagon want to go into Iran and destroy as much of the military infrastructure as possible,” the government consultant with close ties to the Pentagon told me.
Hersh also reports that "The Pentagon’s contingency plans for a broader invasion of Iran are also being updated. Strategists at the headquarters of the U.S. Central Command, in Tampa, Florida, have been asked to revise the military’s war plan, providing for a maximum ground and air invasion of Iran.">/blockquote>Says Hersh's main source -- “We’re not dealing with a set of National Security Council option papers here. They’ve already passed that wicket. It’s not if we’re going to do anything against Iran. They’re doing it.”

Hersh had the Bush administration's criminal designs against Iraq pegged a month after 9-11. As one of his sources told him then --

"They believe they have found the perfect model, and it works... ." The model is bombing, a modest insertion of Special Forces, plus an uprising."
The BBC News is reporting early Monday that White House communications director Dan Bartlett doubts "some of the conclusions" Hersh has reached -- which to me sounds less like a denial than a nitpick. Apparently on CNN Sunday Hersh --
"said administration officials have chosen not to include conflicting points of view in their deliberations -- such as predictions that any U.S. attack would provoke a wave of nationalism that would unite Iranians against the United States.

"As people say to me, when it comes to meetings about this issue, if you don't drink the Kool-Aid, you can't go to meetings," he said. "That isn't a message anybody wants to hear."

This is no longer an "administration." It's a gang of reckless thugs completely beyond the control of law and reason. They need to be stopped before they bring down the whole nation. If not by Congress then by the American people.

larre :: 11:05 PM :: Comments (26) :: Digg It!