Thursday :: Jun 16, 2005

Bush Administration Lied To Blair About Use Of Napalm Against Iraqis


by Steve

(Thanks to a tip from commenter not stupid)

We find out that it gets worse in Iraq. Tomorrow’s Independent newspaper in Great Britain is reporting that the Bush Administration lied to the Blair government about its use of napalm in Iraq. Blair’s defense minister was forced to admit, now safely after the election, that despite earlier assurances from the Bush Administration to the contrary, it turns out that the First Marine Expeditionary Force used napalm against Iraqi forces in the early days of the invasion. Keep in mind we were using napalm against a depleted adversary, wrecked by a decade of sanctions, and not a front-line force.

American officials lied to British ministers over the use of "internationally reviled" napalm-type firebombs in Iraq.
Yesterday's disclosure led to calls by MPs for a full statement to the Commons and opened ministers to allegations that they held back the facts until after the general election.
Despite persistent rumours of injuries among Iraqis consistent with the use of incendiary weapons such as napalm, Adam Ingram, the Defence minister, assured Labour MPs in January that US forces had not used a new generation of incendiary weapons, codenamed MK77, in Iraq.
But Mr. Ingram admitted to the Labour MP Harry Cohen in a private letter obtained by The Independent that he had inadvertently misled Parliament because he had been misinformed by the US. "The US confirmed to my officials that they had not used MK77s in Iraq at any time and this was the basis of my response to you," he told Mr. Cohen. "I regret to say that I have since discovered that this is not the case and must now correct the position."

As bad as this is, it could get worse. This revelation comes amid ongoing rumors about the weapons used against the citizens of Fallujah last year right after Bush’s reelection.

The confirmation that US officials misled British ministers led to new questions last night about the value of the latest assurances by the US. Mr. Cohen said there were rumours that the firebombs were used in the US assault on the insurgent stronghold in Fallujah last year, claims denied by the US. He is tabling more questions seeking assurances that the weapons were not used against civilians.

We have all heard the stories about US forces using depleted uranium munitions against Iraqis during the war, but these stories don’t carry the same visual impact that napalm usage does. If it turns out that the United States used napalm in the Fallujah battle last November, things will go downhill for this country on the international stage very quickly.

Steve :: 8:26 PM :: Comments (20) :: TrackBack (0) :: Digg It!