Election 2006: Victory!
President George W. Bush said that Republicans would hold onto their majority in Congress...10 days ahead of US legislative elections...
Delusional faker as always, huh?
Pachacutec (emphasis mine):
Karl Rove is not a genius. He is the author of the biggest GOP defeat in most of our lifetimes.
Meet the losers, folks: Karl Rove, George Bush and the Republicans.
So much for the scaaaaary Republican "72-hour" operation, huh?
Netroots star Chris Bowers at MyDD has a post worth reading in its entirety. I'm going to borrow some snippets:
• National Sweep. Democrats take the national majority in the House, Senate, Governors, and State Legislatures [NOTE: links added by eriposte]. The only thing Republicans have left--Bush--still sports a sub-40% approval rating.
• Republicans shut out: No House, Senate, or Governor pickups for Republicans. That breaks every record for futility. No one can ever do worse than they did this year.
• Geographic shift. This is the first time in 54 years that the party without a southern majority now has the House majority. Power flows to coasts. Tom Schaller utterly vindicated.
• Blue District Victories. Wave of new conservative Democrats, my ass. Mark down House victories in NH-01, NH-02, NY-24, FL-22, PA-07, PA-08, IA-01, IA-02, CO-07, AZ-08, KY-03, CT-05, CA-11, MN-01, and NY-19. Now someone tell me again how the new wave of Democrats is overwhelmingly conservative with these districts and reps making up the majority of the new class.
• Netroots victories. Covered below.
• Republicans beaten at the top of their game. Republicans broke all of their fundraising and voter contact records this year. They had better maps than ever before. They had a better opportunity to pass whatever legislation they liked than every before. And they were still crushed.
• We are just getting started. This is a big step, and much need vindication for our efforts. But it is still just a step. This is no time to start being risk-averse. We must continue to pursue the strategies that brought us here: silent revolution, fifty-state strategy, small donor explosion, progressive movement, we are all in this together.