The Dems need to take lessons from Alan Grayson because he clearly gets how to counter conservative rhetoric. Here are the titles of his new bills to fight back on the devastating decision by the Supreme Court to stack the deck for corporations over citizens.
- The Business Should Mind Its Own Business Act (H.R. 4431): Implements a 500% excise tax on corporate contributions to political committees, and on corporate expenditures on political advocacy campaigns.
- The Public Company Responsibility Act (H.R. 4435): Prevents companies making political contributions and expenditures from trading their stock on national exchanges.
- The End Political Kickbacks Act (H.R. 4434): Prevents for-profit corporations that receive money from the government from making political contributions, and limits the amount that employees of those companies can contribute.
- The Corporate Propaganda Sunshine Act (H.R. 4432): Requires publicly-traded companies to disclose in SEC filings money used for the purpose of influencing public opinion, rather than to promoting their products and services.
- The Ending Corporate Collusion Act (H.R. 4433): Applies antitrust law to industry PACs.
- The End the Hijacking of Shareholder Funds Act (H.R. 4487): This bill requires the approval of a majority of a public company’s shareholders for any expenditure by that company to influence public opinion on matters not related to the company’s products or services.
You think it would be easy to sell these bills to the public? Damn right it would be easy.