Even in light of the number of extreme weather events that have happened in 2010, some continue to deny this has anything to do with global warming (although the weather this year has started to persuade even some of the most adamant skeptics).
So what do the experts say? Well, here's what Dr. Kevin Trenberth, head of the Climate Analysis Section at the National Center for Atmospheric Research says about that.
I find it [the connection of these extreme events to global warming] systematically tends to get underplayed and it often gets underplayed by my fellow scientists. Because one of the opening statements, which I’m sure you’ve probably heard is “Well you can’t attribute a single event to climate change.” But there is a systematic influence on all of these weather events now-a-days because of the fact that there is this extra water vapor lurking around in the atmosphere than there used to be say 30 years ago. It’s about a 4% extra amount, it invigorates the storms, it provides plenty of moisture for these storms and it’s unfortunate that the public is not associating these with the fact that this is one manifestation of climate change. And the prospects are that these kinds of things will only get bigger and worse in the future.
A short list of events in 2010:
- Nashville experienced an 1000 year deluge
- the Northeast experienced severe floods
- the Southwest experienced the greatest low pressure system in 140 years of record-keeping
- Russia experienced a heat wave lasting more than a month, killing more than 300 people per day and setting off massive fires that sent ash across the world
- torrential rains from unseasonably wet monsoons in Pakistan have displaced millions of Pakistanis
- and in the same period, the Three Gorges Dam in China was almost overwhelmed from the floods.
Experts are connecting the extreme weather events in Russia, Pakistan and China to the same massive atmospheric storms that arise from the increased moisture in the atmosphere which is precisely what was predicted in the global warming models.
Evidently the hoax being perpetrated by the climate scientists to destroy the free market is now fooling Mother Nature. Oh NO!!!!!