Bruce Bartlett Details Obama's Conservatism
Bruce Bartlett lists out a number of examples of Obama's conservatism which he says make him the Democratic Richard Nixon.
Here are a few examples of Obama's effective conservatism:
- His stimulus bill was half the size that his advisers thought necessary;
- He continued Bush’s war and national security policies without change and even retained Bush’s defense secretary;
- He put forward a health plan almost identical to those that had been supported by Republicans such as Mitt Romney in the recent past, pointedly rejecting the single-payer option favored by liberals;
- He caved to conservative demands that the Bush tax cuts be extended without getting any quid pro quo whatsoever;
- And in the past few weeks he has supported deficit reductions that go far beyond those offered by Republicans.
Perhaps a better analogy would be that Obama is the US version of Tony Blair.